Thursday, September 16, 2010

WHY GO TO NEPAL?

Not long after I moved to California 4 years ago, I met a gal who represented Habitat for Humanity of Orange County, CA. She asked me if I could help with their employee’s Retirement Plan. Of course, I could and did. Habitat for Humanity OC has been my client ever since.

While nurturing that business relationship I began to enjoy being with the employees & volunteers at Habitat OC more and more. A few months ago the Executive Director asked me if I would like to participate in an International Build for Habitat. Of course, I said “yes”.

During the first 10 days of October, I will participate on the Everest Build with Habitat for Humanity.  I will be traveling with 4 others from the local Orange County CA Habitat for Humanity Affiliate to NepalI am blessed to have this chance to be involved with such a purposeful organization.  See more details @ www.habitatnepal.org

Volunteers from all over the world will bring their own tools, old clothes, open hearts and strong arms to hopefully change the lives of families in a small village near Pokhara, Nepal (elevation about 3,000).  It will be quite a change but fun and tiring to do physical work for 8-10 hours a day.I travel from LA to Hong Kong  to Katmandu to Pokhara.  No, I am not hiking Mount Everest; but hope to get a good photo or two.  

Tom will join me at our cousin’s home in Hong Kong for a few days after my Habitat project ends.  Then we both adventure off to visit Vietnam.  The Vietnam war era significantly shaped our thinking as young adults, so we are especially curious about this country.  Plus, we love the food.

More later   .......................................

No comments:

Post a Comment