Saturday, September 25, 2010

GETTING OVER THE PACIFIC

Tom fixed me a delightful dinner then dropped me off @ LAX, I wandered into the International section to be greeted immediately by two smiling Asian hosts. “What airline?” they asked, skirted me in the right direction, showed me where to stand. When I got to the front of the Cathay Pacific line, the check-in clerk came from around his spot at the counter, introduced himself picked up my bags then ushered me to his spot at the counter. “You only have 18 kilos,” he said, “going all the way to Nepal. I will confirm all your flights right now.” What a pleasure to experience a little politeness in a busy, crowded place. I remember that traveling in Asia was special.

[However, if you come to LAX for an international flight, don't arrive hungry---only small kiosks & one closet style bar/restaurant with the usual prepackaged foods.] I am excited, sleepy, curious about everything to see and do.

Just before I left home, I received a booklet from Habitat for Humanity entitled: Building Bamboo Prefabricated Houses. Days 1 & 2- Roofing & Weaving. Day 3 -more weaving & plastering. Day 4 – Plastering. Day 5 – Coloring & Painting. Day 6 – Final Completion. Day 7 – Finishing touches & move in. AMAZING!! I cannot wait to start the work.

I've seen bamboo scaffolds & frames on large highrise buildings in Hong Kong, so why not a small home in Nepal?

Flying over the Pacific was direct, a bit turbulent the last bit, yet I slept most of the 14 hours. My cousins Kim & Don got up early to meet me & welcome me to Hong Kong. Wonderful. They are fabulous hosts. Monday two friends arrive from the USA and will stay with my cousins as well until we depart for Nepal Tuesday night.


Until later...... Catching up on jet lag.

1 comment:

  1. Anne in Asia: sounds like the name of a book. Thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete