Wednesday, October 27, 2010

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WATER.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WATER.

Tom asked me if my remarks about water to drink earlier were unkind about Vietnam. My remarks were not intended to single out this lovely country in particular; but only to remark that we forget about how lucky we are in more developed nations. Yes, it is a bit inconvenient to buy water to drink, brush your teeth, make coffee etc. We can afford to buy it in any amount. But most of the world cannot do that and does not have potable water from the tap. I read recently that there are some areas in US where drinking water is still a commodity consumers need to purchase. As you would expect, this is most often found in the poorest communities where the folks are captive with no other choices. Some people cannot imagine using drinking water to take showers, fill swimming pools, wash clothes, or even boil rice or tea.

All the while traveling here we need to avoid drinking tap water which includes not getting any tap in your mouth while washing my face, shampooing hair or in the shower. For me, I need to keep my mouth shut when I am not used to doing so. And, absolutely no singing in the shower!

When corporations take over rights to drinking water in any community, then............here's where power, politics and money enter the issue.
Enough editorials.  Now-- onto stories and photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment